When life gives you (a bowl of) lemons (that are nearing expiration)…
…make Lemon Blossoms!
Last week, I realized I needed to use up my lemons before they went bad. Surprisingly, I opted for a sweet treat over lemonade (or a cocktail – gasp) and remembered a delicious recipe my sister had shared with me years ago. These little bites of pure lemony bliss are best when baked in mini muffin tins – making them bite size and extremely dangerous. 😉 Scroll down for the recipe!
- 18½ oz. package yellow cake mix
- 3½ oz. package instant lemon pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zested
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp. water
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grease your mini muffin tins with cooking spray or butter.
- Combine the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs and oil and blend well with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour a small amount of batter, filling each muffin tin half way.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Once the cupcakes are baked, turn out onto a tea towel.
- To make the glaze, sift the sugar into a mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice, zest, oil, and 3 tablespoons water.
- Mix with a spoon until smooth.
- Dip the tops of the cupcakes into the glaze while they are still warm.
- Place on wire racks with waxed paper underneath to catch any drips.
- Let the glaze set thoroughly, about 1 hour, before storing in an air tight container.