Auld Lang Syne, my friends! We made it through 2017…
Well almost. We have a few hours left.
In honor of the new year (& southern traditions), I’m sharing a delicious and healthy (hey, resolutions!) black eyed pea soup to bring you all the good luck and fortune in 2018. Scroll down for the recipe!
/ / /
Happy New Year’s, you guys! Thanks for reading this boozy blog of mine and all your support throughout the year. Looking forward to all that 2018 has to offer!
/ / /
- 12 oz jalapeno chicken sausage
- 8 oz kale, washed & chopped
- ½ cup of dried black eyed peas
- 1 large carrot, peeled & diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary
- 1 quart of chicken stock, low-sodium is best
- 2 cups water
- 1 lemon, zested
- salt & pepper
- Rehydrate your dried peas by soaking them in slightly salted water over night in your fridge.
- Brown chicken sausage in your soup pot. Drain on a paper towels and set aside.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to your pot, scraping up the brown bits (all the flavor) and add the chopped carrot, celery and onion.
- Season vegetables with salt and pepper and cook for about 4-5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add minced garlic, half of the rosemary and half of the lemon zest; cook until fragrant.
- Drain black eyed peas and add to the pot.
- Pour chicken stock and water and bring the soup to a boil.
- Turn heat down and let simmer for 30 minutes, until peas are tender to bite.
- Once peas are cooked and soft, add chicken sausage and let the soup boil for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped and washed kale and cook for an additional 4 minutes or until the texture of the kale is to your liking.
- Serve and garnish with lemon zest.
- Best to eat on New Year’s Day with cornbread and a glass of champagne.