Sometimes all you need in life is a warm cup of hot cocoa with homemade marshmallows and a splash of Baileys.
…Or a heavy pour of Baileys – it’s up to you and I don’t judge.
While fall may be my favorite season, the holidays are my favorite time of year. As we pulled out the Christmas décor and blasted Glow in the living room it only seemed fitting that we sipped a hot toddy as well. So just in time for the cold weather, let me introduce you to your new favorite nightcap – Spiked Hot Xocolatl.
I chose to upgrade the standard hot cocoa ingredients with Xocolatl’s Vanilla & Cinnamon Spiced Drinking Chocolate and homemade marshmallows. (Bailey’s was a no brainer – anytime you have a chance to add Irish cream to anything, do it.) Homemade mallows are optional but I highly recommend taking the time to whip up a batch. They’re easier to make than you would think and keep well. They also make great treats for teachers, co-workers, neighbors… hell I’m sure the mailman even loves marshmallows.
I followed Ina’s recipe and the results did not disappoint. Proof that when you have a stand mixer and a pound of confectioners sugar, you can accomplish anything.
| ingredients include sugar, vanilla, corn syrup and unflavored gelatin |
- 1 cup almond milk (or cow's milk)
- 3 tablespoons drinking chocolate
- splash of Bailey's Irish Creme or heavy cream
- optional: homemade marshmallows, candy canes, whipped cream
- Warm milk and drinking chocolate in a pot on the stove. Stir well.
- Add a splash of cream if desired.
- Serve in a festive mug and top with garnishes.
May your holiday season be warm, bright and tad bit tipsy. 😉